Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I´m here!

Well I arrived safely in Managua last night without any problems. There were lots of tourists and missionary groups on my flight, so I felt slightly out of place being all alone. But at the same time in a wierd way being alone just got me more excited for the opportunities I will have to interact with the people of Nicaragua. After getting through immigration and getting my bags I saw a man and a boy holding a sign with my name on it on the other side of customs. The man was the director of Luke´s Society and the boy, his 9 year old son. After exchanging greetings and introductions they took me to the truck. We then drove the hour or so back to Jinotepe where I met the rest of his family - his wife and 16 year old daughter. We chatted for a while and then I went to my room to sleep and unpack a little. Their house is wonderful and they are very nice people. I have my own room and my own bathroom, which included a towel and soap.

I came into the office today for orientation. Their work is really neat, but a bit overwhelming with all of the details. Basically they work doing community development where they help to make people in the rural communities authorities and owners of their own futures and course of development. At the end of the day luke´s society basically facilitates, trains, and gives others the tools and knowledge that they need to improve their lives. Tomorrow I will follow different people around to see the actual work they do in the different communities. I am very excited about it all and I definitely feel this is the right place.

More to come!

2 comments:

Okada San'emon said...

Sheryl, that sounds awesome! I hope that it is a really good experience for you; I know you are as well-prepared as one could be for such an endeavour.
Don't fear the work too much (Josh. 1.8). You will be great, esp. because of your positive attitude and ability to connect with diverse people in a very personal way.

ashley elizabeth said...

hooray I am so glad you are there safely, and that you are at peace in your location. i know that God is preparing so much for you to learn, and I can't wait to see what you experience!