Saturday, July 5, 2008

Daily life

I know that some of you are probably wondering what my basic day looks like including when do I wake up and what I eat. Well first there is no regular day here and usually I don´t really know what I am doing until about five minutes before hand, but I will try to give you an idea.

I wake up around 7 and spend some time reading and praying. Then around 7:45 or 8 I emerge from my room and wander into the kitchen. Usually one if not both of my host parents are there cooking breakfast and lunch at the same time. We talk for anywhere between 10 to 30 minutes depending on how soon breakfast is ready. I then help set the table. My host siblings leave for school around 6:30, so they do not eat with us. Breakfast consists of gallo pinto (red beans and rice), warm corn tortillas, fresh fruit juice made by my host father, scrambled eggs, fresh bread from a bakery, or some type of fruit (mangos, pineapple, papaya, watermelon). The most common is gallo pinto with tortillas. We tend to leave the house around 8:30 or 9 to go to the office.
I greet my co-workers with ¨buenas¨ and we chat for a while. I have really nothing to do when I arrive so I use the time to talk with my-coworkers or to record thoughts I had during the morning. Someone will then say ¨vamos sherry¨ (let´s go - they can´t say my name and this is close enough). I seldom know where I am going prior to getting into the car or walking to the market. I also seldom know exactly what we are going to or why. Surprises are a big part of my day.
Whatever activity we go to might last just for the morning or the entire day. Primarily our outings consist in going to the community to talk with the people and to do various workshops. This past week my outings were to paint shops, the market, and the central park. We moved offices so we didn´t go into the rural areas. If I don´t go into the rural areas I eat lunch either at my host family´s house or we go to one of two nearby restaurants where we eat tasty baked chicken, rice, beans, and fried bananas. If I go to the rural communities I never know when I am going to eat, so snacks have come in handy. Many days when we are out in the communities I don´t eat til around 3 or later, which is a long time since breakfast.
I go home from the office anywhere between 5:30 at the earliest to 7:30. The work day ends around 5 so I either check email or talk with my co-workers who are still around. We then head home after making a brief stop to buy homemade, hot tortillas from a woman who sells them from her house.
At the house I either read, play uno with my siblings, or watch american idol prior to dinner. Dinner so far has included corn tortillas, rice, beans, avocados, pupusas (tortillas with cheese and beans inside), variety of soups, baked eggplant with cheese and barbeque sauce on top, baked chicken, or a dish similar to chicken curry but not spicy. After dinner I help with cleaning the kitchen and talk more with my host family. I go to my room anywhere between 10 and 10:30 to do some HNGR homework and then to sleep.
I know that wasn´t very specific but that is because my days vary so much, but I hope it helped you to get an idea of what I do during my days.

No comments: